Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Wardrobe drama number one: I feel kinda fat

This is where we discuss wardrobe dramas, but not the regular 'just-Hollywood-tape-it-and-go' types, I'm talking about the deep down 'cant-bare-to-look-in-the-mirror' ones.

We've all felt fat before, but what if its a regular occurrence? A better half of the population these days is overweight and its getting worse. And what can we do about it? The easy answer is 'a lot!'

I used to be a size 12, and while that isn't that big, it is if you're 5'1. Its like the equivalent to size 16 for 5'6 girls. I used to eat my feelings and feel worse afterwards for having done that in the first place. After a while, it began to make me feel sick physically. And after going to a naturopath I found out that I had really stuffed up my digestive system with sugar and wheat.

So, I was put on a strict (STRICT for all you 'but its only one piece of chocolate' girls out there) diet of no wheat, sugar and glucose. Its called a celiacs
diet. I will say this now, this is not a fad diet, its a diet. This is not a 10 day plan or a 3 month exercises. I was put on this as treatment for my sickness. Meaning till I was better and my tolerance built up again. But still I avoid these foods.

This diet was combined with a blood-type diet, again, not a fad. This one is a permanent diet! As a blood type 'O' I was prone to anemia and lack of proteins. So I was on a meat and protein rich diet, which really opened up my options. I could have a beef stir fry or grilled chicken and there are many other types of meats and recipes out there too! I was instructed to stay away from most grains and some nuts. One of which was peanuts. That means no more sitting on the couch with a jar of peanut butter and a spoon. At first it stressed me out. What was I going to eat? I didn't like eating steak or pork. But I couldn't just eat chicken. I started off slowly. Looking for recipes on the Internet and trying new combinations. Soon, instead of eating peanut butter out of the jar, I was snacking on soy cheese with chives on rice crackers and instead of pizza, I was eating lemon chicken with brown rice and soy sauce veggies! Instead of having this dull diet I thought I would have, I was shown a whole new world of flavors and cooking, and in fact, how dull and boring my previous diet was. I loved my new diet. Not only did it make me feel amazing, it gave me more energy and made me look cultured.

Within one week of this diet, my skin cleared up, I got my glow back and I started to feel a lot better. At the two week mark, results! Down to size 10 already! Finally 3 months later and I was back at my naturopath, I could stop my
celiacs diet. I had gotten down to a healthy for my height size 6 and felt amazing. I cant that my naturopath enough for helping me!

Before starting any diet I suggest you speak to a naturopath, but as for cutting out wheat, sugar and glucose. You should anyway. My diet also included drinking a special herb tea and I had cupping and acupuncture done too. I got them as extras to speed up my recovery, they are not a way to lose weight.
The key to being healthy starts with eating healthy and exercise.

Good luck girls!

xoxo

No comments: