Monday, December 1, 2008

The kindness of strangers




Today I got a phone call from my mother all the way in Adelaide to tell me that I had lost my wallet, I was shocked by this, as how could a woman 750 kilometers away know something like this before me! Not to mention my wallet with my beloved photos of friends and important documents and credit cards was missing of course. I ran into my bedroom and tore the contents of my handbag out in search for the alleged missing wallet. She was right! It was gone! Then it hit me, how did she know? No sooner that I had asked this, had she replied "a girl named Harriet has just called me to say she's found it!" Shocked, I asked a million useless questions probably better directed at Harriet. I asked my Mother for Harriet's phone number and she gave it to me. I wrote it on some mail that was meant to be return to sender and told my Mum I'd let her know how it went.

I called up to hear a soft voice saying she had rescued my poor defenseless wallet from my street and after not being able to find a legible address she called my Mum. I don't know where in my wallet I keep my Mum's number but now I'm really glad I do! I arranged to meet half way at the North Melbourne train station. I made a dash for the door, on my way picking up Penny and my keys. I forgot my shoes, but that didn't matter. I had my wallet!

I was there in 5 minuets, and I saw a lovely kind faced girl holding my beloved wallet.

I thanked her at least a million times and we went on our ways.

Today I was thinking would be a horrible day. Everyone at work was grumpy and no one wanted to talk.

But even though the day is over, it was still saved, with a little bit of kindness and a lot of 'thank-yous'.

xoxo

No comments: