Wednesday, December 3, 2008

How to be poor and have fun in Melbourne!

If you're like me. You're poor. I'm a 20 year old Legal Secretary TRAINEE living in Melbourne. My parents are too far away to help me out with dinners and I have a mouth to feed. (A puppy, not a baby..) This and my expensive rent, bills, etc etc. Makes for little left over for the fun stuff.

I've come up with a few things that are both cheap and fun for the 20something living in the big city. - Some imagination required.

★ Start a blog. It only requires good observation of your surroundings and people in your life. You could even write about your memories or your plans for the future! And it doesn't have to be a blog either. It could be a journal, a scrapbook or a video diary!

★ Join a sewing class. Theres a place on Errol street called Thread Den. You can hire machines there and take sewing classes, you can pop in, take a few and then go op shopping for some cool vintage material! Once again, in Melbourne there are some places at Parliament side of Bourke Street and a couple on Brunswick Street. Maybe you could make a few cool pieces, get some friends to model them! You might even be able to sell some on ebay and make a few extra bucks!

Moonlight cinema at the botanic gardens. Its cheap and you can take all your own food! So why not gather a few good friends for a girly night in, outside!

★ Window shopping in luxury clothing stores at Crown. Depending on who you are this may differ in how fun you find it. I personally love trying on Burberry bags and jackets and gazing at $2000 bags in Prada. Last time I was in LV I was given a photo of myself and Penny in a Louis Vutton Card for free!

★ Body artwork. Get a group of friends together and paint a picture using different body parts!!! (My house-mate gave me this idea..)

★ Yoga class at SomaChi on Sunday mornings. $10 and all proceeds go to saving abandoned or pregnant animals. Its at a train station on Greville Street in Prahan.

Night market in St Kilda! live bands, painting and the markets of course!

Gopals on Swanston Street. Vegeterian meals for gold coin donations. Pay what you think the meal is worth! All proceeds go to Melbourne's homeless.

★ Take a walk around the city while listening to some music, exploring and maybe find some cool places of your own! Last time I went on a walk I found a taxidermy and artifacts store on Collins street with stuffed chimps to alligators and bear skin rugs! totally gross but really interesting. They even had some cool Da Vinci type inventions from the 14th century.

★ My retarded boyfriend informs me that you can get $2 peep shows. So if you want a lesson on the female anatomy, why not give it a go.

Old Melbourne Gaol. $18 for adults, $14 for concession. Learn a bit about our rich history and see some really cool shit.

So there are a few ideas to get you started! If you have any cool ideas or activities around Melbourne or your own home city or town, let me know!

Stay Tuned!

xoxo

No comments: