Friday, March 12, 2010

One Perfect Moment


We've all seen it in the movies. Those perfect Kodak moments that seem to go in slow motion. You probably feel like you've never had one. But you have. Your first kiss, your first 'I love you', your first house or job or baby. Maybe it was the first time you held hands or even smiled at a cute boy across the room. Life is made up of moments, each one precious. You don't need to prove they ever happened with a camera or a video or even telling anyone. These are moments precious to you.

Girls; it feels like we're forgetting how to have those moments. In the heat of it are we too busy trying to scramble to preserve it? Are we that reliant on what other people think of our precious moments? I carry a camera with me, I wont lie. But I haven't charged the battery since I went on holiday. I'm not so super dependant on technology that I cannot function without it. I don't even have a mobile (unless forced to carry one) and I do perfectly well. You see people now days, walking down the street, completely catatonic, oblivious even; to the world around them because they are updating their facebook or emailing someone about how they never get the guy. Meanwhile, a gorgeous guy would walk past and in a non-technology dependant world - he would see her, she would see him. They would make eye contact and accidentally bump into each other's shoulders and apologise and maybe he would ask her out to dinner. - But no. He's on HIS mobile too, doing the same thing. In the real world, they knock each other's shoulders and keep on walking; the moment that could have been, is lost. Because we are searching in a place that isn't even real. Its true that one in three married couples met online. But that's because that's the only place they were looking.
Does this look like fun?

Did you happen to meet a lovely guy once at a bar. Seemed like a great person, spoke to you, looked into your eyes when he talked to you. Then asked "whats your Facebook?" Tell me, what are you doing now? Are you dating? Or did you have so much "textual" contact online that nothing sparked. There was no point in hanging out because you could say everything you wanted online, there's even a list of what he likes and doesn't like! You don't even have to ask. In the search for love and new connections. Is it the over connectedness that's destroyed our chances?

This looks more fun to me..

I hate to use myself as an example; but I feel like after countless relationships based through technology and spent hours texting and not talking I have the right to tell you.

Do you want to know how Himself and Myself got together? The old fashioned way. I think when we were starting to see each other, we probably sent 3 text messages. He would always CALL. We spoke on msn twice. He went to Canada for a month before we made it official, and yet we still didn't deteriorate to facebook. We video called, he walked to payphones, we did all we could to keep it as real as we possible from that distance. When he got back, we went driving together. We went to the beach, to the dog park - with the sausages - and we spoke on the phone. Never online. And now the longest we've spent apart is 3 days. We've been overseas together and done some of the most amazing things. I have a few snaps here and there. But my life is for living, not documenting.

So ladies, leave the house. Get outside and when you walk down the street. See the world. Not the World Wide Web. Its more fun. I promise.

xoxo

1 comment:

Cyndal said...

I love this entry, I'm sure I've thought the exact same before too. You write brilliantly! I got a "friend suggestion" on Facebook to you from Zephyr Elf, and wandered onto your blog. I'm already sucked in xD
I'm so sorry to hear about your dis-engagement.. I can see already that you are a talented woman who puts words down quite well, and I hope to be a reader of yours for as long as I can!