Tuesday, February 17, 2009

When did 'we' become 'me'? (Rant)


In this day and age people's personalities and traits are evolving and becoming more extreme. Its funny how the times change. As people become wilder and less likely to be tied down, the ones that actually want love and a stable relationship seem to be harder and harder to find. Now I'm no better or worse than most people. But after a while the party gets a bit old and you start resenting waking up to a hangover instead of a person you love.

Its never fun being alone. But even though people still long for someone to share their lives and selves with, they aren't sharing it with just one person.. Has Globalisation turned us all into zombies who crave quantity instead of quality? Is poligomy going to become the norm? I ask this because I have met probably 10 people in the last year who actually want a proper relationship that will end in marriage. 10. When did true love fall out of fashion? Since when was marriage a luxury? I seem to have a lot of questions but not a lot of answers.

We can look at ourselves first to blame. Our past relationships, current and what we want for our future. Let me tell you. You probably aren't having the same visions for your future as I am..

Look at what you want in your relationships right now. If you had a boyfriend or if you're in a relationship, whats one of the top priorities you hold.

Let me guess..

Freedom. Right?

Since when did a relationship become a trap that you need freeing from? In the past when people got into a relationship, they did nearly everything together. 'We' was really 'WE'. You thought about them before you thought about yourself. You WANTED to be with them all the time. Relationships, essentially are training for marriage! After all, why would you want to waste time with someone you don't want to spend the rest of your life with? You're testing out whether you could wake up next to this person on Sunday and just have a cuddle. You want to know if they'll be there when you're sick, or lonely, or in trouble. Call me old fashioned. But I want my future relationships to reflect the past. There is nothing wrong with being interdependant.

Countless times the word 'dependant' has been used to discribe being weak. But really, being dependant on someone shows that you are able to admit you need help. It isn't weak, or pitiful or babyish. Its called being human. Being able to have someone to lean on and be there for someone to lean on is what makes us different from the animals. We have the full ability to communicate, so why have our interdependnce and communication skills deteriorated? The most intellegent mammels are the ones that are able to work as a team. So we seem to be DEevolving.

Its said that being independant will set you free and make you happy.

If this is so true then why are so many people suffering from depression.

Why do people have so many issues with parents not being there. "Daddy left", "Mummy ignores me". Well that is called being dependant. You need to have a good safety net to lean on when you're growing up so you don't end up in therapy once a week speaking to someone you don't know about why your mother likes the gardener better than you.

Its the same when you grow up. You probably want kids one day. What are you going to teach them? Are you going to let them bring themselves up? Or show them that its okay to lean on you.

Maybe its just me. Maybe I like being needed. Maybe its my way of showing the one I care about how much I love them and how much I think they're worth.

That makes it a pity to see that people don't value love anymore.

1 comment:

tentenmellow said...

I really liked this article Lorena! X3 Its very sweet I think and very tue of what I have seen/ herd (has no personal experience >__<)