Tuesday, January 13, 2009

How to wear hats (when you hate them)

I hate hats. I do. Honestly they can look as good as they want on me, I wont enjoy wearing them unless I am having a hair day that leaves me resembling a bush. But like with many accessories I have had to sit down and decide what I should be wearing, even when my hair is respectable, or God forbid, good.

Go on. Say it."You think that hat looks great on me! I've heard this before.. You're not changing my mind. No I wont buy it." If this sounds like you when you're wondering through stores with your friends trying on accessories as you pass them, then welcome to my world. I am terrified of hats. And the reason? Hat hair.. The very thought gets me in a cold sweat! I cant bear the thought of my beloved hair all creased and misshapen after I have spent even 10 minutes on it. Granted I have hats. We all have bad hair days and sometimes they seem to be the only option, but mixed in with my coherent-hair-inclusive outfits? *gasp* Nooo! How terrifying. This problem of mine got to a stage where I got a stern telling off from a friend about the matter. Then I had a craving for a particular hat and its all been downhill from there. I still hate them. But I've had to learn to trust them with my hair.

I have found a few hats, ones that have had to be great in so many ways that they can be worn - with dignity and my hair done.

The Barrett

I have a red one. Everyone should have one. A Barret is perfect for everything. Always. Classy and elegant. Not to mention nice to your hair. They have a certain je nei sei quoi abo
ut them and their charm is hard to beat. Get one. Seriously. Do it.*swoons* Goes with any hairstyle. Just up to you what you do with it!

Beanie

This hat can be done with class, I promise. Just steer clear of any made of polar fleece or super deluxe heavy duty knit. A good beanie should be thinly knitted, either machine or hand is fine, tight knit or loose is up to you, and they should never be too tight. Otherwise you'll look like a fisherman. And they should be neutral hair-type colors. Grey, red, black, white, cream. Stick with these. The awesome thing about beanies is you can wear them and still have a tulle flower in your hair. Wear chunky plaits, side ponytails, or leave your hair down. Never squeeze a high pony tail into one, stay away from ponytails that sit in the middle of your neck and I cant stress enough that you leave hair out of it. Never tuck it up. You'll look bald.

Straw Wide Brimmed Hat

Reserved only for the beach. You can get them from stores like Country Road and Billabong. They only really go with mature beachwear (i.e not board shorts and bikini. Try one piece and sarong), hair down and big sunnies. Get one for those sunny Summer days when you're heading to the beach.

Fedora

These are super cool but also super hard to find clothes they go with. (this only applies to girls) Stick with androgynous clothing, like pants and waistcoats. Wear chunky messy low tied hair styles and try not to
take it off as this hat is notorious for the dreaded 'hat hair'. When you get your hair and the hat just right, leave it. Take it off only to scratch. Do not wear it with your hair down unless you have super long hair.

Pork Pie Hat

This hat is very cool and was very popular in the 60's when they were worn by the 'rude boys'. They are made of felt or less commonly straw. You should apply the same rules as with the Fe
dora. For those of you who've never heard of such a thing, here's a photo.

Trucker/baseball/gangster hat.

This hat I would usually condemn to use by only males, but I will say th
ey can look cute. Note that i say 'can'. Try to get one that is as 'you' as possible, and make sure you have clothes that go with it. When wearing it you should not resemble a guy at all. You should dress in light weight clothing and avoid bulky stuff at all costs. Just leave your hair down and don't let it look ratty. Trucker hats on girls should look cute. See what I mean?




Now that I've shown you some cool hat types you can know what to arm yourselves with so you don't get stuck in public with hat hair ever again after having to remove a hat you think looks crap. And FYI, the thing that sets hat hair off the worst is humid or super hot weather, making your head sweat and wetting your hair, ruining any straightening you many have spent all morning doing. Check the net if you think it could be a humid day. Or you could opt for slightly looser hats on warmer days.

Keep on truckin!

xoxo

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yep, gonna need you to teach me how to wear caps well, as im not likin the work ones at the moment.

teach me oh lord of the hats :)